About

During my studies (psychology, medical, sociological, pedagogical subjects) I was very interested in the lectures and workshops about autism.
The knowledge about autism was very limited, but the discussions with my professor, lecturers and and fellow students gave me a good foundation for the future of my family.

Instead of going the promising path of a psychologist career after I finished my studies, I wanted to live life to the fullest and started a family.
I became a mom of 4 autistic boys.

  1. Asperger syndrome and ADD
  2. ADHD and autistiform behaviour
  3. PDD-NOS
  4. classic autism

I won't mention their names for privacy reasons.
They're between 16 and 23 years old.

With this large diversity on the autism spectrum we were in for a world of experiences with teachers, caregivers, psychologists, psychiatrists and people who know best.
OK, nice people can also be added to the list.
But we started school with our children in the time that nearly nothing was known about autism at schools, so we were told we were bad parents.

We now know better.

I've become an autism advocate, coach and speaker.
As much as possible I try to fight against false profets, wrong "knowledge", misunderstandings and everything else that makes life more difficult for people with autism.

Children need to get a proper autism diagnosis as described here, so they won't be subjected to all sorts of "treatments" by people who have no medical knowledge.

My main goal is to better life for autistic people.
That means: proper diagnosis, treatment and support.
And it also means: feeling safe at home at school and in society.

Autism is a neurobiological disorder.
People with autism have the right to be accepted and to function at such a way that they feel happy.

It's not about us, not about society, but about them.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin